|Fleet Street today|
For 300 years Fleet Street was synonymous with the nation's biggest newspapers and also some of its biggest drinkers.
The first British daily newspaper, the Daily Courant, was published in Fleet Street on 11 March 1702.
News agency Reuters was among the last newsrooms on Fleet Street before it moved staff to new offices in Canary Wharf in 2005. Agence France Press departed a few years later in 2009.
|old Fleet Street|
The street was famous for its many bars and pubs, constantly occupied by journalists both socialising and seeking stories and, at closing time, staggering either to the Press Club, which stayed open until 2am, or Covent Garden where the pubs opened before dawn for the flower market workers.
|Sunday Post building|
remain as nostalgic throwbacks to a bygone era: El Vino's which for years insisted on patrons
wearing a jacket and tie and where no women were allowed; the Old Bell, designed by Christopher Wren and still an occasional venue for journalist reunions; the Cheshire Cheese, which has been in the same spot since 1538 and where Charles Dickens was a regular; The Punch and Ye Old Cock are still there although the clientele is now very different.